• Wij nemen alle aankooprisico's van je over
  • Dankzij onze onafhankelijke aankoopinspectie koop jij gegarandeerd een goede auto
  • Iets mis tijdens de eerste 12.000 kilometer? Bynco lost het op én betaalt.

How to buy or sell a car in the Netherlands?

Interested in buying or selling a car in The Netherlands? But not exactly sure how it works? No problem, we are here to help. Read all about it in this article.

In this article we'll help you with tips and information on buying or selling a car in The Netherlands as an expat or foreigner living in The Netherlands. Feel free to get in touch with us by chat. 

Dutch national authority: RDW 

The RDW (Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer) is the Dutch national authority in the field of road traffic, transport and vehicle administration. All motor vehicles in the country must be registered with the RDW. Registering a vehicle with the RDW means that the owner agrees with the minimum liability insurance, paying road tax and having a valid APK (technical inspection). 

The Dutch registration documents consist of two parts:

Part I (this should always be kept with you if you use public roads):

  • License plate.
  • Tender certificate

Part II

  • Transfer certificate

Every new vehicle of more than 750 Kg receives a registration certificate from the RDW, which remains with the car. The Ascription Certificate is transferred when the vehicle is bought or sold.

Dutch nr 1 (according to expats) webshop for (used) cars is the first and most popular webshop for used cars in the Netherlands. And is accreditated by RDW, Thuiswinkel Waarborg and trusted by the European Ecommerce organisation. We have already been able to help many returning (remigrating) Dutch people to a car. But we have also been able to help many expats living in the Netherlands to a car with NL registration. Order a car online from your couch, with all the certainties. No language barrier with a Dutch car sales representative, fixed prices (therefore no longer annoying negotiations), test driving and all the help that is required with the administration on the spot. Do want to know how Bynco works? Click here.


Elke auto krijgt voor aflevering een onafhankelijke aankoopinspectie

Buying a vehicle in The Netherlands

Every vehicle, car, motorcycle or trailer weighing more than 750 Kg must be registered with the RDW. It is the owner who completes the registration (it can only be done on behalf of someone under certain circumstances). It is the buyer’s responsibility to make sure that the vehicle is registered with the RDW.

Registration takes place at an authorized RDW dealer (if the vehicle has been purchased there). To register a car or motorcycle, the new owner must be 18 years or older and be resident in the Netherlands.

The following must be demonstrated:

Proof of Identity - one of the following:

  • A valid Dutch driver’s license, not older than 10 years
  • A valid passport or identity card and a residence permit or an extract from the Basic Registration Persons, no older than three months.
  • A valid foreign passport and residence permit with an original extract from the local population register, not older than three months.
  • Tender certificate
  • Transfer certificate

The registration papers cannot be transferred to the name of the new owner until the identity and registration details have been checked with the RDW, this can normally be done on the spot.

If the vehicle has been purchased from an authorized RDW dealer, the documents can be immediately transferred, the person must be able to identify themselves and have a Dutch driving license. The identification will be checked in the database and the registration papers can be transferred.

Do you live in the Netherlands, but do you have a foreign driving license?

No problem if you only have a foreign driving license and no Dutch driving license. You can just buy your car at When you place an order you can indicate that you have a foreign driving license. The only difference is that the registration must take place at RDW administration office. These locations are spread across the Netherlands. You also need an original proof of your registration in the Netherlands (BRP Exhaustion, not older than 3 months) and a valid driving license. We have already welcomed many foreign expats with their Dutch car.

buying a car in the netherlands

Buying a car: road tax

You have to pay road tax (motor vehicle tax, MRB in Dutch) on each vehicle. Once the registration papers have been transferred, the name of the new owner is linked to the tax. You must pay this or every three months or annually, whatever you choose, there will be a reminder and invoice when the payment is due. Different payment methods and conditions are allowed. The rates vary depending on the vehicle, the fuel and the province where the car is registered.

Phone: 0800 0749 (free number within the Netherlands) and +31 88 156 59 75 from abroad

Selling ​​your car to an authorized RDW dealer

The transfer can take place at an RDW garage, the complete registration certificate must be present:

  • License plate
  • Tender certificate
  • Transfer certificate

When the transfer is completed, the registration certificate becomes invalid and is returned to the seller with the warranty certificate. 

Selling your car to an individual 

If a vehicle is sold privately, the transfer must take place. In Dutch it's called 'overschrijven'. You can do it at the post office or online. For example at If the buyer does not have a Dutch passport, Dutch identity card or Dutch driving license, the registration must be placed with the RDW. It is the responsibility of the buyer to obtain the property. They must bring the following documents:

  • Tender certificate
  • Transfer certificate
  • Identification

The buyer immediately receives a warranty certificate to give to the seller, the seller should also ask for the invalid tender certificate in case of future problems.

It is common for the seller not to hand over the registration certificate before he has received the warranty certificate, as this is the only evidence that the owner has changed. 

Would you like to trade-in your current car?

Do you have a car to trade-in? With the Bynco trade-in service you'll be able to trade-in your 'old' car for a new one easily, quickly and free of charge. We will send you a competitive and fair trade-in offer within 24 hours. The offer is valid for 14 days. Happy with the amount we've offered? You can use the trade-in amount to purchase a new car from us. If you use our free trade-in service, we will take your old car with us when we bring you your new one.

Financing a car

If you have found your dream car on Bynco, it is possible that you apply for financing here. For this we work together with our carefully selected partner DTC. If you choose to apply for financing, you can simply order your desired car. Through the ordering process you have the option to choose Payment through financing. Your car is reserved for one working day, so that someone else can not take off with your dream car. We will then refer you to DTC where you can request a quote without obligations. Do not worry, you are not attached to anything. Not to the financing, not to the car. Has everything been arranged with DTC? Then you can make your order final.

Road tax and selling your car?

The road tax paid by the original owner is repaid by the RDW from the date that the vehicle has been transferred. It makes no difference whether the car was sold privately or to a garage.

Want to sell your car but documents are lost or missing?

If a license plate is missing on the vehicle or if a registration certificate is lost, it is the responsibility of the seller to replace it before the vehicle is transferred.

Costs of selling your car

There is a fixed rate for the transfer of a registration certificate; this rate is the same for both an RDW registered garage and a post office. If you buy a new car, you pay a one-time BPM for obtaining the registration certificate (Taxes for Passenger Cars and Motorcycles), this is a tax that is due by the first person registering a car or motorcycle in the Netherlands.

More information: Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer RDW Contact page (Department of Road Transport)

Importing a car to the Netherlands

Here's an article we wrote for those considering to import a car to the Netherlands.